- Choose five to ten of your all time favorite books.
- Take the first sentence of the first chapter and make a list in your journal.
- Don't reveal the author or the title of the book.
- Now everyone try and guess! Cross them off as they're guessed correctly.
The man in the bare steel chair was as naked as the room's white walls.--The Shockwave Rider, by John Brunner I can see by my watch, without taking my hand from the left grip of the cycle, that it is eight-thirty in the morning.--Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, by Robert M. Pirsig Stock cue SOUND: "Presenting SCANALYZER, Engrelay Satelserv's unique thrice-per-day study of the big big scene, the INdepth INdependent INmediate INterface between you and your world!"-- Stand on Zanzibar, by John Brunner
- The wind came across the bay like something living.
Once upon a time there was a Martian named Valentine Michael Smith.--Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, came to power in 1740.--Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter Of the history of the Little Kingdom few fragments have survived; but by chance an account of its origin has been preserved: a legend, perhaps, rather than an account; for it is evidently a late compilation, full of marvels, derived not from sober annals, but from the popular lays to which its author frequently refers.--Farmer Giles of Ham, by J.R.R. Tolkien Current-borne, wave-flung, tugged hugely by the whole might of ocean, the jellyfish drifts in the tidal abyss.--The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. LeGuin
Hints of Dubious Utility:
- There's one Gimme that even people who haven't read the book are likely to guess, but on the other end of the spectrum, at least two of the entries suggest completely different topics than the actual books.
- Only one of the entries is non-fiction.
- Most of the others betray a distressing lack of breadth in my tastes.
- I almost included another Gimme, since the term "Deliverator" would be a dead giveaway, but that's not so much one of my all-time favorite books as it is my all-time favorite opening.
- I couldn't find my copies of two of my "all-time favorites" to add to the list, so people expecting to see them will be disappointed.